A cannabinoid is one of a class of diverse chemical compounds that acts upon the ECS (Endocannabinoid System).
CBD and THC are major constituents of the cannabis plants such as hemp and marijuana.
There are approximately 113 different cannabinoids that are derived from cannabis plants.
ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM (ECS)
Simply stated the ECS is one of the body’s major biological regulatory systems that keeps our bodies balanced to run smoothly.
The ECS is associated with regulating various physiological and cognitive functions:
nervous system, stress & mood, appetite & metabolism, immune system, pain & inflammation, fertility, memory, and etc.
- Psychoactive (affecting the mind) and creates a “high.”
- THC binds directly to CB1 receptors, which are mostly found in the brain and nervous system, which leads to its strong psychoactive properties.
- NON-psychoactive and does not get you “high.”
- In fact, CBD is believed to moderate and mitigate the “high” and other effects associated with THC.
- CBD does not bind directly to CB1 or CB2 receptors, which is why it doesn’t produce intoxicating effects.
- Instead, it activates within the ECS by enhancing the natural positive effects of certain proteins and enzymes.
What does CBD actually do?
CBD is non-intoxicating which means it will NOT get you “high” and is NOT addictive.
According to the World Health Organization, “In humans, CBD exhibits no effects indicative of any abuse or dependence potential… To date, there is no evidence of public health related problems associated with the use of pure CBD.”
There is a various range of potential benefits correlated with CBD. It immensely interacts with multiple receptors in our system including appetite, pain, digestion, reproduction, stress, memory, addiction, depression and etc.
There are also numerous studies associated with the performance of therapeutic effects of CBD. Lowering levels of stress, anxiety, pain, and inflammation have received positive results through the usage of CBD. It is also very popular for the usage of skin care regimens and post workout treatments.
The FDA has approved the use of CBD in a pharmaceutical drug called ‘Epidiolex’ to treat children who suffer from one of two specific epileptic conditions: Dravet and Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome.